Pavitra Sampath, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:20 AM
The liver is one of the most important organs of the body. One of its most important functions involves breaking down and disposing of toxic substances. In such a case if the released toxins are not expelled properly due to the inefficiency of the liver they are simply reabsorbed. These toxins can later lead to various severe complications including cancer. (Read: Why is the liver so important? )
There are certain vegetables that contain ingredients which help the liver secrete greater concentrations of important enzymes; in turn, these enzymes help to excrete potential carcinogens from the body.
What you should eat:
- Broccoli, onion and garlic are believed to provide sulfur to the body. Sulphur, helps enhance the detoxifying reactions in the liver, and carry out processes that prevent its damage.
- Beetroot contains pectin which is very useful in flushing out the toxins from the liver, and does not allow them to be reabsorbed.
- Cabbage is known for its high levels of sodium, which help in proper disposal and detoxification of the liver.
- Carrots are rich in Niacin and beta carotene, they are great for the eyes and liver. The niacin helps the liver properly break down substances to release toxins, keeping it healthy and avoiding re-absorption of harmful substances.
What you should avoid:
- Highly processed foods with a large number of additives
- Food that is rich in hydrogenated oil
- Food with high content of fructose corn syrup, artificial sweetening agents
So the next time you reach out for that bag of chips or that extra peg over the weekend, think again.
Tired of reading? Check out our YouTube Channel